Saturday, November 21, 2015

Culture, Sanskar...?


I always use to wonder what "our culture" or Sanskar meant 
I have scant regard for orthodox beliefs so I never really dwelled.

It suddenly occured to me yesterday.

We light the diya in the house every morning and then again in the evening around 6:00. When we do that we put on all the lights in the house.
This is culture, how can I not do that. Not doing that would mean life is not normal at the moment.

My mom use to eat  eggs or non-vegetarian food only on Wednesdays and Sundays. She regarded every other day as dedicated to a God. I was not like that but now I am more comfortable doing that. 
Instinctively it limits the intake of those foods but at the same time makes sure I have some if I wanted to.

We never step on paper. We don't eat beef because rightly we consider the cow as a mother.


This and many others keep me in check and I hope my daughter also inherits the respect for these beliefs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home